-->

Monday, April 14, 2014

Reaping the Rewards

This week has been quite the adventure.  My companion, Sister Egan, has been sick all week long with bronchitis.  It started last Sunday and is still continuing.  At first we tried to keep going because it  was Elder Kääriä's last P-day and we wanted to say our good-byes. So we ended up going to a thing at a taco restaurant.  It is like the Cafe Rio of Finland and it was so good.  We also had a lesson that night with a member and we were in charge of teaching a family home evening lesson.  I was way nervous about it because my Finnish is not that great and I was going to have to do most of the talking we thought.  Fortunately Sister Egan was feeling well enough to really help out.  We also tried to continue and go to zone meeting and say good-bye to those who were leaving, but after that Sister Egan had a fever so that meant that the next two days we were going to be stuck inside.  She actually needed to go to the doctor, though, which meant that Elder Kääria would once again be sweeping in on his last day in the mission to save us!  This has happened so many times that I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that he would be the one saving us once again and driving us to the doctor.  
With Elder Crofts and Sister Pugmire
Good Bye to a Great Elder
I have to say that Elder Kääriä is one of the best people that I have ever met.  I am so grateful for the opportunity that I had to serve with him.  He is an awesome missionary and did so much good here in Finland (Besides just saving me and Sister Fronk or Sister Egan!)  He really was a stellar missionary.  He cares so much about those around him and is constantly lifting people up.  I also haven't met someone as funny as him in my life.  He definitely knew how to make everyone laugh.  It was a sad day when he died (went home) but we all will never forget this Swede. :) 
Mormon Helping Hands
Helping Hands Service with the elders and Sister West
Anyway,  since Sister Egan was sick the Haaga Sisters (Sister Fronk, Sister Pugmire, and Sister West)  jumped in to save us so that we could continue to do missionary work.  I got to go on so many splits this week and it was so much fun! These sisters are absolutely amazing!  We also got to participate in a Mormon Helping Hands service project!  It was so much fun!  I love it when we get to do service for people (which doesn't happen very often.)  Our project was mostly just spreading gravel and things like that, but they fed us way good food for doing it! 


"Reaping" the Rewards
Later that day we had the most amazing lesson with our Chinese investigators! They are amazing!  We went into the lesson planning on teaching just about the Restoration and answering questions they had, but then baptism came up by the end and we felt like we should invite them to be baptized!  So we did and they have agreed to be baptized on June 14th!  We are so excited for them!  Change calls are this week so I may not get the chance to be there but I am still really excited for them and hope that everything works out for them. They are the cutest people in the world.     
Funny Story with Sister Fronk
I also must share a super funny story. Sister Fronk came to stay the night this past week and we were in the bedroom going to bed and talking... or more like she was teasing me SO much.  So I jumped out of my bed to run and jump on her bed but then she ended up falling out of the bed and breaking our mirror!!  Oh no!  It was really bad but one of the funniest things ever!  Oh my goodness.  You can always count on the funniest of things to happen!
A Mission is a Strange Experience
I wish I had more time to tell all of the amazing things really happened this week but I don't have a ton of time today.  It really has been amazing to see the Lord's hand in this area.  It really is starting to grow and we are being blessed so much.  I am so grateful to be serving a mission.  It has been so hard but so worth it!  It just reminds me of one of my favorite poems: 
The Highs and Lows of a Mission

A mission is a strange experience. 
A trial and a test. 
A mission throws at you the worst.  
Yet, teaches you the best. 
I've never been so happy.
I've never been so depressed. 
I've never been so forsaken. 
I've never been so blessed. 
I've never been so confused
Things have never been so clear. 
I've never felt Father so distant. 
He has never been so near. 

I've never been so discouraged. 
I've never been so full of hope. 
I could go on forever. 
I've reached the end of my rope. 
I've never had it quite so easy. 
I've never had it so rough. 
I've never been through such a deep valley. 
I've never been to such a high peak. 
I've never felt so strong. 
I've never been so weak. 

I've never had so many ups. 
I've never had so many downs. 
I've never had so many smiles. 
I've never had so many frowns. 
I've never been so lonely. 
I've never had so many friends. 
Boy, I hope its over soon. 
Gosh, I hope it never ends. 

I love my mission!  Though it really is much like this poem.  It really is the BEST experience of my life. I love all the people I have met here and the amazing missionaries I have served with.  I love Finland.  I love the Gospel.  I love this Work.

Love,
Sister Knapp

No comments:

Post a Comment